Dashain, the biggest festival of Hindu in Nepal, is just around the corner so I decided to learn how to make Sel roti, a speciality of the festival. Dashain is celebrated for 15 days in Nepal. Sel can be eaten as a snack by itself or together with some side dishes if you like, such as aloo ko achar. Last Dashain I bought them $2 a piece so this time I wanted to make my own
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rice soaked overnight
- 5 tablespoons sugar (add more if you like sweet)
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep frying
- ½ cup ghee (clarified butter)
- Wash and soak rice overnight, drain excess water and grind into a semi coarse paste.
- In a bowl, add ghee and sugar.
- Using electric mixer, mix it well and slowly add rice flour and plain flour.
- Add all the rice paste to the mixture and mix it well using hand.
- Leave the batter for few hours in the fridge.
- Heat oil in a deep pan, making sure the oil is not too hot.
- Clean an empty water bottle and cut into half so it will be like a funnel. (Use funnel if you have but I didn’t so I used empty water bottle.)
- Put the mixture into the funnel and carefully, pour batter into oil into a doughnuts shape
- Once it comes to the surface and is golden brown at the bottom, turn it over and cook for one minute on the other side.
- Use wooden chopsticks to turn the Sel if you have one so that the Sel doesn’t break.
- Once both sides are crispy and golden brown, remove from the oil and place on paper towel until ready to serve
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture
You may also like :