This is one of the popular dishes in Nepali/ Newari cuisine. In Newari style Bhoj (feast) you will always find this dish.
Aloo Tama is a classic Nepali soup prepared with black eyed beans, potatoes, bamboo shoots and spices. Tama is a non-fermented bamboo shoot product. Aloo tama is well-loved comfort food cooked almost in every household throughout Nepal. The enduring popularity of this dish is that, it is extremely tasty and very appetizing mainly for its slightly sour and pungent taste. There are different way to cook this and today I am sharing my style using pressure cooker.
- 1 cup bamboo shoots (preferably sour one)
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup black-eyed peas (soaked overnight)
- 1 teaspoon dry cumin seeds (jira)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 red dry chilies
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice to taste
- First of all let the black eyed beans shock in water for overnight. If you forget to soak it overnight, you can soak in hot water for few hours and it will be fine.
- Heat oil in a pan. I used pressure cooker.
- Add turmeric, dry cumin seeds and red chilli and fry until it is dark.
- Then add garlic and ginger.
- Add chopped onion and cook few minutes on low heat.
- Add potatoes to the onion and sauté for at least 5 minutes in medium heat.
- Add little water so that it doesn’t stick on the pan.
- Add soaked beans, tomatoes and fry for few minutes.
- Add 2 cup of water, salt, chilli powder and cover the pressure cooker and press for 6-10 whistle or until potatoes is cooked.
- Take off the pressure cooker and let it cool down.
- Now add bamboo shoots and 1 cup water ,cover it and let it simmer for another 10 minute or until desired consistency is reached.
- Taste and add lemon juice as required to make it bit sour.
- Sever with roti or rice.
You may also like :
|*Aloo dum||*Aloo ko achar||*Aloo chop|