As I have mentioned on my previous post (Dashain Aayo), I tried growing Jamara this year and I am happy to let you know that, it came out well
If anyone wants to try it for the next year, this is what I did.
- Soak barley seeds over night. I used a Jamara mix (barley, corn, wheat) from Nepali grocery shop.
- Get a deep bowl or container with a flat bottom. Fill it with a layer of sand about one or two inches thick.
- Sprinkle a layer of soaked Jamara mix into the container. Make sure it is only one layer of the seeds so they have enough room to sprout.
- Cover the seeds with thin layer of sand.
- Sprinkle some water in the container. The sand should be moist , not be soggy.
- Cover the container and put it in a dark place away from sun.
- Check the container daily to make sure that the sand is moist.
I’ll try with just barley next year as I think that would be even better.
How many days does it take for the “jamara” to be ready for use ?
Jamara is ready in 10 days that’s why you plant them on Ghatasthapana and take out on Dashami during Dashain.
Pingback: Dashain | nepaliaustralian