I am all for women’s rights and everything that goes with that. Then sometimes, things happen in my life, I wonder if that is true that women have it better.
This morning I went to a service station because my car’s tyres needed some air. Normally I put the air myself as most service stations have a machine where you can enter the tire pressure and off you go. But this particular service station had an old style air pump which I didn’t know how to use. I parked the car and I was just looking at how to use the machine. I must have looked dumb and confused so out of nowhere this guy came and asked me if I needed help. I definitely did, so I said yes. He was kind enough to help me and fill air in all the four tyres. I thanked him and drove off. I was glad there was someone to help me otherwise I would have spent a while on working out how the machine worked.
This situation made me think, if I was a guy trying to work out that machine in the service station, would I still have been offered help?
Because I remember a conversation with my friends (guys) about how people are so nice on the road these days that they give you way when you are trying to change lanes or slow down when you are trying to overtake. And they told me it doesn’t happen to them and I am getting those purely because I am a woman. I disagreed with them then but now it makes me wonder if they were right. In their words “Women are nice to women and men are nice to women so either way, women win”.
So here are the 10 things I get during my day-to-day life which I am not too sure I get it because I am woman. Please let me know if it is normal or I am getting that because I am a woman.
- Most of the time people smile at me, both men/women when our eyes meet while walking on the street.
- Strangers offers me a drink when I go out for a night out. If it is a club, guys come and dance with me and compliments your dress, hair etc. (I think I know the answer already).
- Once on a rainy day, this guy came from a shop with an umbrella and helped me cross the road even though he was not walking in the same direction as I was.
- A cab driver didn’t take money from me because I was nice to him. All I did was have a conversation during the ride. I insisted on paying but he insisted on not taking the money.
- When shopping, the cashier lets me get off with a few cents and says “its ok, don’t worry” while I am digging in your bag for change.
- When I am cold at work, everyone was happy to lend me their jumper (guys and gals).
- It’s easy to ask for direction when I get lost as everyone seems to be willing to help. I even have some people who walked with me to my destination even if they were walking towards the opposite direction. I couldn’t thank him enough.
- Many strangers request me to be their friend in Facebook.
- When I was single, I felt that even my good/close friends were trying to hit on me even though I made it clear to them that I wasn’t looking for a relationship anytime soon.
- When we (friends) go out for lunch or dinner, guys in the group offer to pay for my share. I make sure the next time I pay for the meal but the guys insist on paying most of the times.
Tell me your opinion.