Aloo means potatoes in Nepali and this is a simple Nepali vegetarian dish.
- 5 medium-sized potatoes
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups gram flour (besan)
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons of garlic paste
- 1 lemon (squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- A pinch of baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Boil the potatoes (use pressure cooker if you have one) and make a mash after peeling off the skin.
- Add chopped onion, chillies, ginger, garlic, lime and salt and mix well. Make sure the mixture is a bit lumpy and not too smooth like a paste.
- Heat two spoon oil and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the mustard crackles, remove from heat and add to the potato mixture and mix well.
- In one bowl, make a batter from gram flour and baking soda.
- Add salt to taste, cumin seeds, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- The batter should not be runny and should remain a bit thick.
- Divide the potato mixture into equal sized portions, in the size of small egg. and make a flat disc shape.
- Dip each disc in the batter and deep fry till golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with achar/ketchup
You may also like :
|*Momo||*Aloo ko achar||*Chicken chili|