Methi is fenugreek seeds and kerau is dried green peas. Methi kerau is one of the popular foods in every Newari Bhoj (feast). I wasn’t a huge fan of this while growing up but these days I love it and it is very good for health as well.
To make this recipe, you need to soak both Methi and Kerau for around 5-10 hours or overnight if you plan ahead. This is a very easy recipe.
- 1 cup of methi
- 1 cup of green dry kerau
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 inch on fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 dry red chilli
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Pour vegetable oiliIn a pan, (I used pressure cooker) and fry turmeric powder and dry red chilli.
- Add soaked methi and kerau and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, chili powder, crushed fresh garlic and ginger, and salt and fry for few more minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and boil for a few minutes and Methi Kerau is ready to be served.
P.S: This dish will be slightly bitter but if you want to take out the bitterness , boli the methi in water and wash it couple of time afterwards before cooking it.
You may also like:
|*Chicken chhoela / Choila||*Goat curry (using a pressure cooker)||*Gundruk Aloo Bhatmas Curry|