Every time we go to Nepal, my MIL makes sure that we have enough laspsi ko achar for our entire stay. This time while we were there, she made the second batch and I helped her. Sharing the recipe with all of you here.
Normally, lapsi ko achar is a bit sweeter than I like so when we make it at home, we tend to use less sugar. Feel free to add more sugar if you like very sweet lapsi ko achar.
- 1 kg Lapsi
- ½ teaspoon cumin Seeds
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard oil
- 1 cup sugar
- Salt to taste
- Some raisins
- 1 cup Water
- In a pressure cooker, add lapsi and water enough to cover all the lapsi and cook for 5 to 8 whistle.
- Take out the lapsi from the pressure cooker and check if it is cooked well and its skin comes off easily.
- Peel off the skin and set aside. Put the rest of the laspi in a bowl.
- In a big pan, heat oil and add fenugreek seed until it is dark brown in colour.
- Turn off the heat and add turmeric powder. Let it fry for a few seconds.
- Now add all the lapsi to the pan.
- Add sugar, chill, salt, mix well and cook on low heat.
- Once the mixture become a bit thick, let it cool down.
- Now add raisins and the achar is ready.
- The lapsi ko achar can be eaten for several days. If it lasts that long 🙂