It was my nephew 4th birthday yesterday , so my cousin sister (D) decided to make Yomari to celebrate his birthday in Newari tradition. In Newari tradition, we make Yomari every even birthday (2,4,6,8,12) until a child turns 12. Yomari defined by Wikipedia is “a delicacy of Newars. It consists of an external covering of rice-flour and an inner content of sweet substances such as Chaku (Molasses)”
I have helped my mum make Yomari before but never knew the step. Finally I know how to make it and I am sharing here if anyone else want to experiment. So this how we did it.
- Rice flour
- Hot water
- Sesame seed
- Mix rice flour with hot water and make dough. Make sure you don’t make the dough too soft. Cover the dough with a warm and damp cloth and rest it for 10-15 minutes.
- Use fry pan to heat chaku (molasses) to get a liquid chocolate like mixture.
- Mix Chaku and fried sesame seed.
- In a small bowl pour some water and oil. Now take small amount of dough in a hand and make a round shape.
- Now press the dough to make a cone-shaped crust as shown in picture.
- One side of Yomari should have long tip and other side is hollow.
- Fill it with mixture of molasses mixed with Sesame seed.
- Using both hand slowly close the hole and make shape as shown in the picture.
- Steam it for 15 min.
- Now it is ready to serve. Enjoy!
We made 4 with only rice stuffing inside to make Yomari mala (garland) for birthday boy and rest was made with chaku (Molasses) . It was yummy.
You may also like :
|*Aloo chop||*Chatamari||*Gundruk Aloo Bhatmas Curry|