Wo is a Newari word which is mashed lentils cake and it is prepared from the black lentils or green lentils (Mugh beans). Wo is called Bara in Nepali. There are different kinds of Wo depending on what is put in it and how it is cooked but I am making vegetarian one today.
This recipe was given to me by my MIL.
- ½ kg Mugh beans (Split or whole)
- Vegetable oil
- 2 carrots
- 2 small onions
- salt according to taste
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste
- In a big container, pour Mugh beans and add at least 1000ml of water. As these beans increase in size after soaking, it is a good idea to add lots of water in a deep, large container.
- Leave them overnight to soak if possible otherwise soak for at least 5-6 hours.
- After 5-6 hours, they will absorbed water and will be swollen and soft.
- Wash the beans and take some of the green bean coats out. The green coating is very healthy so no need to take a lot out.
- Put the beans in the mixer with salt, ginger and garlic and grind until it becomes a thick paste.
- Grind carrots and onion separately.
- Now mix the bean paste and the carrot onion mixture..
- In a flat frying pan, add one tea-spoon of oil and let it heat.
- Put two table spoons of the mix and make a circle around 4-5 inches using the spoon.
- Cook on low heat and when the Wo is crispy and brown on one side turn it over.
- It is best to use slotted(as shown in picture) as it is easier than other spoons.
- Pour one spoon oil again and cook this side till it is crispy and golden brown.
- Your “Wo” is ready. This is best served hot. You may also like :
*Aloo chop *Chatamari *Gundruk Aloo Bhatmas Curry