Chatamari is a special Newari dish which is like a crepe made of rice flour and optionally topped with mince meat with seasoning or vegetables.
Use non stick pan so that Chatamari doesn’t stick to the pan.
For Rice Base
- 2 cups rice flour
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup water (depends on consistency)
- 1 cup ghee or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of peas
- A bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- 250 grams minced chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- Mix minced meat, salt, pepper, onion, tomato, oil, peas, curry powder, coriander leaves, garlic and ginger in a big bowl and put aside. This will be the topping for the Chatamari.
- Mix rice flour, eggs, water and salt to make batter.
- You may need to add more water if necessary to achieve the consistency similar to the batter for crepes.
- Heat a non stick pan.
- Pour in some batter and spread out into a thin crust. Cover the pan and cook just on one side for a few minutes. Don’t flip onto the other side.
- Put the toppings on top of the Chatamari and cook for a few minutes by covering the lid.
- If you like your meat well done, take the Chatamari and put it in the oven on low heat for 2 minutes. But this tends to dry the Chatamari. Alternately you can pre-cook the minced meat mix and then add it to the Chatamari in this step.
- For vegetarian options, topping can be made with potatoes, onions and tomatoes or if you eat eggs just use scrambled eggs for toppings.
- Serve hot with spicy achar or your favourite sauce.
You may also like :
|*Chicken chhoela / Choila||*Goat curry||*Momo|