I wish I had known how to make this a lone long time ago. I learnt it only when my MIL was here and I am loving it. It is the best alternative for laspsi ko achar as lapsi is not available here in Australia.
- 2 kg raw Mangoes
- 1/2 cup Regular Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds
- 3 teaspoon Oil
- A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- A pinch of Black rock salt (Birae Nun)
- Salt to taste
- Peel the mangoes and cut them into cubes
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker (use heavy bottom pan if you don’t have pressure cooker) and add fennel seeds.
- Add mango cubes and fry for about 5 mins.
- Now add the sugar, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida, black rock salt and salt and mix with the mango cubes.
- Add a cup of water and close the lid and cook till 3-5 whistle of the pressure cooker of if using a pan then cook until tender.
- The achar is done when the mangoes become tender.
- The achar should be thick, not runny. If it is too thin, let it boil for a while until you get the desired consistency.
- This is great to keep for few days in fridge.
M from nepaliaustralian