After having Chhori, I am always looking for easy and quick meals as I don’t have lots of time to spend in the kitchen.
Chura (beaten rice) is one of the widely used to replace rice in Nepali culture. I used to make fried chura a lot with eggs and onion but recently discovered that they are very yummy with potatoes too so sharing the recipe here.
I used flat thick Chura as shown in photo below. Make sure it is not too thin otherwise it will be very mussy when soaked.
- 2 cups Beaten/Flattened Rice Flakes, thick variety (Poha)
- 1 medium sized potato, peeled and cut into small cubed size
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Few curry leaves
- 2 green chilli
- Gently rinse Beaten/Flattened Rice with cold water. Let it sit in a colander and drain the excess water and sprinkle salt.
- In a microwave safe container, add the cubed potatoes and add 2 table spoon of water, cover it and cook for 5 minutes. This process will semi cooked the potatoes making it easy to fry.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick pan/work on medium heat.
- Add the mustard in it and when it starts popping, add the cumin seeds.
- When it gets aromatic, add turmeric powder, onion, chillies along with curry leaves
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until the onion gets soft.
- Add the potatoes and mix until combined.
- Cook potatoes for few minutes until tender but not mushy.
- Add beaten/Flattened Rice and gently mix everything.
- Fried Chura is ready to serve.
Take care everyone,
M from nepaliaustralian