Here is another simple recipe from my favourite chef, Jamie Oliver.
• 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
• 3 inches of fresh ginger, peeled
• 2–3 fresh red chillies, deseeded
• olive oil
• 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 3 tablespoons garam masala
• ³⁄₄ cup plain yogurt
• 4 medium chicken breasts, skinned and cut into large chunks
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 2 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced
• 2 tablespoons tomato purée
• a small handful of ground cashew nuts or almonds
• salt to taste
• ¹⁄₂ cup heavy cream
• a handful of fresh coriander, chopped
• juice of 1–2 limes
- Grate the garlic and ginger on the finest side of a cheese grater and put to one side in a bowl.
- Chop the chillies as finely as you can and mix them in with the ginger and garlic.
- Heat a good splash of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add them to the ginger and garlic mixture along with the paprika, cumin, ground coriander and 2 tablespoons of the garam masala.
- Put half of this mix in a bowl, add the yogurt and the chicken pieces to it, stir and leave to marinate for half an hour or so.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan the mustard seeds were in and add the sliced onions and the remaining half of the spice mix.
- Cook gently for 15 minutes or so without browning too much – it should start to smell fantastic! Add the tomato purée, the ground nuts, 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt. Stir well and simmer gently for a few minutes. Let this sauce reduce until it thickens slightly and then place to one side.
- Put the marinaded chicken on a hot griddle pan or barbecue and sear until cooked through – you can also do this under a preheated broiler if you like.
- Warm the sauce and add the cream and the other tablespoon of garam masala.
- Taste and correct the seasoning if necessary. As soon as it boils, take off the heat and add the grilled chicken. Check the seasoning once more and serve sprinkled with the chopped coriander and the lime juice.
- Then all you need is a huge bowl of steaming rice and some poppadums !
You may also like :
|*Jamie’s Crackin’ Crab Briks, Couscous Salad & Salsa||*Jamie Oliver Szechuan stir fry with chicken and brown rice||*Jamie Oliver’s Dan Dan Noodles|