Our story: Meeting the boyfriend – Part 11

This is a continuation of my previous post. Please read the previous posts here, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 , Part 6 , Part 7 ,Part 8 ,Part 9 and Part 10

I was back in Kathmandu and counting the days until I could meet the AS since he was on a short holiday to New York and Washington DC before heading home to Kathmandu. He was busy sightseeing and meeting his friends and family as he might not get a chance to go back there later once he returned to Kathmandu. We did talk everyday but we didn’t talk for long as he was with his cousins and it would be very rude to be on the phone very long.

I was annoyed about it as I had all the time in the world and nothing much to do but think of him. I have to admit he was doing his best to keep in touch but it would be unreasonable to be staying home when you go to meet people on holiday.

Anyway, the last few days were dragging like it was forever. My parents would ask me about him from time to time and there was no one else I could talk to, as I want us to be OK before I told everyone. He was going to be Kathmandu on 1st January via Hong Kong and Delhi.

Finally, it was 31st December in Nepal and 30th December in New York and we were on Skype.

Me: I am so happy that I will see you tomorrow.

AS: It will be in 2 days for me

Me: Finally we will be in the same time zone. Very excited. So who is picking you up? I don’t think I am ready to meet your family yet.

AS: I have told them that you will pick me up so they won’t be there

Me: You know that I want to meet them but just not ready yet. I want to meet you first. Or they can come and I can see you in the afternoon. Hope they understand.

(I had to explain this to him because my parents had always come to the airport to pick me up and drop me off and that was at least eight times in the last 10 years. I would feel bad if his family does the same and I am stopping them)

AS: I am sure they do. That’s why they said OK, don’t worry too much. I want to see you and meet you love.

Me: Thank you love.

AS: So what are you doing for New Year eve?

Me: I am going to party with some friends in a few hours. I may not be able to talk to you today.

AS: Enjoy the New Year Eve and have a Happy New Year. Will catch you in Kathmandu.

Me: I will but the greatest joy will be seeing you at the airport tomorrow.

We talked for a while and then he went to bed and I was getting ready to go out.

I had a great time with my friends in a New Year Party and was home in time to sleep. I was excited to see AS the next afternoon.

The next morning, I told my parents that I will be going to airport to pick AS up. They asked me if my dad was to accompany me and I told them NO. I was planning to get AS to meet my parents next day anyway.

If you are reading “Our Story”, you can see that airport seemed to have a big role in our life. First, it was LA airport, then Singapore and now Kathmandu airport.

After what seemed like ages, I was going to see him and we were going to be in the same city.  This will be our first time meeting as girlfriend and boyfriend so it was very special day. I went to check my email just to see if AS managed to send me something from the airport and I was happy to see an email from him.

It read

Meri Pyari M, (My beloved M)

Whenever I think of you, I see the sweet smile on your face. I always want the smile to stay right there with the twinkle in your eyes, the blush on your cheeks, the laughter like bells tinkling on a gentle breeze dancing to the rhythm of nature.

Soche ko ta thiyen ki ma euta lamo emial lekachu bhanera.. tara jati lamo email lekhepani.. in essence it all boils down to the fact that… Ma timilai sarai maya garchu M.  (I was planning to write a long email but in essence, it all boils down to the fact that I love you M.)

Whatever may come in life… whatever ups and downs that may happen… hami milera sangai tyasko samanagaraunla (We will go through it together).

I want to write so many things but then I don’t know what to write… I hope this email brings the smile to your face… I’ll wait until we meet to see that smile… Never lose that. Ever.

Forever Yours,


When I finished reading the email and I was grinning and was so happy to have him in my life. He always knew how to make me smile. I was going to see him in a few hours. But as they say, good things always come with their own shadow. That is what came next.

My dad came home and told me that it was Nepal Bandh that day which means you can’t drive any type of vehicle on the road. I became a bit worried because my house was far from the airport and AS will have his luggage. I did not know what to do as AS was expecting me to pick him up.

If we ignore the bandh, it could be very risky. I had read and heard about instances where a vehicle had been stopped or even worst, gotten torched.

Imagine the situation where AS is stranded at the airport. His family were not picking him up as he wanted me to be there and I couldn’t go. I was really annoyed and upset.

My dad made a few calls and told me that there would still be special airport taxis that AS coluld catch to get home. But the problem was, he was on the plane by then and he didn’t have a mobile with Nepalese sim card so I couldn’t leave a message. On top of that, I really wanted to meet him as this day was supposed be a very special day for us. A beginning to a very special year on January 1st and a beginning to our life together.

Therefore, I made my decision. I was ready to walk to the airport and on the way back we could catch the special taxi. When I told my parents, they seemed to be fine with my decision but the only condition was that my dad would walk with me. I didn’t think AS was ready to meet my dad at that stage but my dad insisted that that was the only way I was going to be allowed to go. He said he would drop me at the airport and then come back home and I could wait for AS on my own. I couldn’t believe how understanding my parents were in this situation. So after breakfast, dad and I got ready and started our walk to the airport. I wore sensible shoes as it was going to be over an hour’s walk.

I was really grateful to my dad for walking with me as I was scared to bump into people protesting or worst fighting on the streets. The road was empty except for people walking so it a was very different Kathmandu than what I saw every day. The sun was shining which looked like a good omen. From time to time, we saw an occasional bike but apart from that, there were just police vans on the road. Dad and I talked about lots of subjects by the time we reached the airport including mine and AS’s future and what was our plan.

I was honest with my parents from day one about our relationship so told him what I had in mind; that we didn’t know yet and we would talk about this some more once AS and I met.

Once we reached the airport, I was relieved that there were special airport taxis. I told my dad to catch one and leave me there as in half hour AS’s flight would land and he should be out within an hour. He decided to stay with me for another half hour to make sure that the flight was on time and when the monitor indicated that, AS’s flight had safely landed, he caught a taxi to go home. He asked to call him if anything happened. At that moment, I was very proud to be a daughter of my parents as they are loving, caring and so understanding. Seriously, hardly any parent in Nepal would leave a girl to pick up her boyfriend whom she hadn’t meet for ages during a Nepal bandh, just because the daughter wanted to meet her boyfriend the same day. I am just thankful that they are my parents and feel blessed to have them in my life.

After dad left, I waited for AS to come out. The airport was not as busy as usual. At the airport, they have camera at arrival lobby and it was broadcasting to the waiting lounge. I was looking for him when I saw him on TV. My heart started beating fast because he would be out soon.

After the initial drama of the Nepal band passed, I stared to get all different kinds of feelings. I was excited to meet him but at the same time the butterfly in my tummy was moving so fast, I was scared that I would get sick. My body was overwhelmed with feelings that were unexplainable and I was unsure what to think. My heart beat faster and my blood felt like it was flowing more rapidly through my body than it ever had before. I had goose bumps all over my body.

I had to wait another 30 minutes before he emerged from the gate and I ran and hugged him. It felt so good to be able to touch him and find him next to me. Once I was in his arms, I felt, safe, right, at ease, like everything was meant to be, without even needing words or the usual getting to know you level of conversation. Everything around us seemed to stands still and it was like we are alone even in a place full of people.

After the initially embrace, finally we had time to talk. I told him that it was Nepal band and I had to walk. He was happy to see me but sad to see me suffer just to meet him. Then we took the waiting taxi and off we went.

Sitting next to him in the cab, as we talked, he looked into my eyes and I felt that he could see into the very depths of my soul. I was so happy that day that I felt like I wanted to talk to him non-stop, I didn’t want him to leave, and I wanted to hold him, touch him, all in the same breath. I wanted the cab driver to keep driving so we could keep talking and I could see him and be with him forever.

 Will write more soon, till then take care


M from nepaliaustralian

Go to Part 12

You may also like:

*10 Questions from Yatin on my “Our Story “post *Our Story: Back to Sydney – Part 3 *Our Story: Good friends again – Part 4

27 responses to “Our story: Meeting the boyfriend – Part 11

  1. Those infuriating bandhs ! They caused me so many problems

    • All the time and I still don’t see a point of bandh as they seem to achieve nothing but pain to common people.

      • I never had to walk to the airport thank God because our home is at Satungal, near Thankot. But two years ago when there was to be a bandh on my flight day. I had to move to a hotel on the Ring Road, near the airport and then take my baggage next day from that hotel to the terminal by rickshaw. So much messing about because of those damn people.

  2. Loved this post…I could really relate to it.. 😀

  3. Love your blog. Thanks for sharing your story here :).

  4. Wow, I can’t stop reading these! It’s almost 2 in the morning when I just realized that this is the latest part, I hope you write soon! Interesting love story and lucky both of you! Best wishes!

  5. First, I’ve been waiting to read the next installment of your love story, so, thank you! Second, what an amazing love story- I catch myself smiling everytime I read your story because it reminds me of the feelings I had when I was dating my now husband and third, you have such amazing parents. I hope my husband and I are the same way with daughter. Looking forward to part 12.

  6. You walked an hr to the airport , so sweet of you and your dad he is even sweeter to walk with you and letting you spend with AS. I am so looking forward to read how you met him family and rest of the events..

  7. So very sweet! And such sporting parents. God bless them! and you guys! 🙂

  8. OMG! What a friggin love story!! 🙂 I’m in love with the fact that you’re soooo in love! LMAO This is so romantic I feel like skipping! Haha! You guys are adorable. Hugs to you…Paula xxx

  9. so beautiful… can’t wait for continuation. write soon 😀

Share your thought...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s