“Chu” means minced and “La” means meat in Newari. You could make this recipe with any meat but I am using chicken today. This is one of my favourite curry when I was in Nepal and my mum definitely made it best 🙂
It is one of the easiest and tastiest recipes that I loved to make once in a while. It goes well with rice or roti and is healthy as well.
- 500gm chicken mince
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Large tomato diced (I used 250 gm diced from a can)
- 1 table spoon of garlic and ginger paste
- A few bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- ½ cup of chicken stock (use water if you don’t have stock)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- In a wok, heat the oil, add turmeric powder and bay leaves.
- Add the sliced onions and fry for 15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring regularly.
- Add all the other spices , garlic ginger paste and fry some more.
- Once onion is cooked, pour diced tomato and let it cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Mix well and add the chicken and fry until the chicken mince is cooked.
- Try and break the mince as much as possible as you cook it so it does not have too any lumps.
- Once the chicken is cooked, add the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Garnish the chicken with fresh coriander.
- Delicious minced chicken curry is ready and it can be served with rice or roti.
M from nepaliaustralian
P.S: Do not forget to vote your favorite blog . NEPALIAUSTRALIAN’s Blog Award 2014
Made this yesterday. What would I do without newari food? 🙂 Thanks so much for the recipe/
Glad you liked it 🙂 and welcome back after your holiday. I am sure you had heaps of fun. Been missing your comments here :). Take care.
Looks delicious! I’ll give it a go for my wife tomorrow! 🙂
Hope both of you enjoyed the meal. This is so easy and delicious way of enjoying the meat 🙂
i love the chu la and so damn easy to make!
Yap, best home cooked meal 🙂
Yum…. But you know, I am a mutton/lamb guy myself…
I am sure you will enjoy this dish with mutton too :). let me know how you went 🙂