Aloo ko achar is a very popular Nepali potato salad which is used in most bhoj in Nepal. There are many different ways that it can be prepared. I am sharing my recipe here.
- 3 medium potatoes (200gm)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 Teaspoon of mustard oil
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds (teel)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 green chillies
- A few leaves of fresh Coriander
- Salt to taste
- Boil potatoes, peel and chop into quarters. I use pressure cooker as it is quick and easy.
- Cut cucumber and carrot in half moon shapes as shown in photos.
- Finely chop Spanish onion, green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Roast sesame seeds (Teel) on a pan until it turns light brown and starts crackling. Make sure to stir regularly so it doesn’t burn.
- Place it in the blender with half a cup of water to make a fine paste. Alternatively grind it into a fine powder in the grinder and mix with half cup of water.
- Put the potatoes, cumber, carrot, onion, coriander and green chilli into a big bow. Add the sesame paste, lemon juice and salt.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add mustard oil. When the oil gets heated and you start to see smoke add the fenugreek seeds. Wait till it goes dark brown and add chilli flakes, turmeric powder and take off from the heat straight away.
- Pour this into the bowl with the potatoes.
- Mix it well and it is ready to be served.
It tastes best if you leave the Aloo ko achar in the fridge for half an hour before serving.
You may also like :
|*Aloo dum||*Aloo Tama bodi||*Aloo chop|