- 4 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup green peas (I used frozen one)
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat up the pan on high heat and add oil.
- Add turmeric powder and peas and stir it for a minute or so.
- Add chopped tomatoes into the pan, stir it and cover it with a lid for 3-5 minutes. Do not forget to stir it in between.
- Once the tomatoes are mushy in texture, add chilli powder, salt to taste, coriander and cumin powder.
- Stir well and mash the tomatoes to give it a gravy texture.
- Add ¼ cup of water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Place the achar in a bowl and garnish with fresh coriander.
Take care ,
M from nepaliaustralian
Posted in Foodie, Nepali food, Recipe
Tagged achar, australian, australian nepali, chopped tomatoes, easy achar, M from nepaliaustralian, Nepal, Nepali, nepali australian, Nepali blog, nepali food, Nepaliaustralian, nepaliaustralian blog, peas, red chilli powder, side dish, teaspoon coriander powder, teaspoon cumin powder, teaspoon turmeric powder, tomatoes, turmeric powder
Aloo ko achar is a very popular Nepali potato salad which is used in most bhoj in Nepal. There are many different ways that it can be prepared. I am sharing my recipe here.
- 3 medium potatoes (200gm)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 Teaspoon of mustard oil
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Teaspoon crushed chilli flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 cup white sesame seeds (teel)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 green chillies
- A few leaves of fresh Coriander
- Salt to taste
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi)
- Boil potatoes, peel and chop into quarters. I use pressure cooker as it is quick and easy.
- Cut cucumber and carrot in half moon shapes as shown in photos.
- Finely chop Spanish onion, green chillies and coriander leaves.
- Roast sesame seeds (Teel) on a pan until it turns light brown and starts crackling. Make sure to stir regularly so it doesn’t burn.
- Place it in the blender with half a cup of water to make a fine paste. Alternatively grind it into a fine powder in the grinder and mix with half cup of water.
- Put the potatoes, cumber, carrot, onion, coriander and green chilli into a big bow. Add the sesame paste, lemon juice and salt.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add mustard oil. When the oil gets heated and you start to see smoke add the fenugreek seeds. Wait till it goes dark brown and add chilli flakes, turmeric powder and take off from the heat straight away.
- Pour this into the bowl with the potatoes.
- Mix it well and it is ready to be served.
It tastes best if you leave the Aloo ko achar in the fridge for half an hour before serving.
You may also like :
Posted in Newari Food, Recipe
Tagged aloo, cup lemon juice, dinner, fenugreek, fenugreek seeds, food, ghazal ko achar, kakro ko achar, medium potatoes, mustard oil, sesame paste, sesame seeds, spanish onion, teaspoon turmeric powder, vegetarian