Chana chatpat is a snack I used to love while growing up in Kathmandu. They were usually sold by street vendors and I used to love it. Now every time I go back, I feel like having it but am scared of getting sick so I decided to try to make my own home made Chana chatpat. I am happy with the result even though it might lack the touch of the street vendor.
I think it is healthy and definitely tasty snack perfect for anytime.
- 1 cup puffed rice
- ½ cup chickpeas, soaked (I used canned)
- 1/2 cup aloo bujiya (bought a pack from Indian grocery store)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 table lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons of chat masala (salt if chat masala not available)
- Mix puffed rice, chopped onion, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, green chilli, aloo bujiya , coriander leaves in a bowl.
- Now add lemon juice and oil and mix it well.
- The chana chatpat is ready.
- I served mine in a paper cone like the street vendors in Kathmandu, you can just serve in a plate or bowl.
Note : It needs to be consumed immediately otherwise the puffed rice will go soft and it won’t be nice and crunchy as it is supposed to be.
Hope this will bring back your childhood memories as well 🙂
M from nepaliaustralian
I think this is both healthy and tasty! I would love to try this food out! Smiles, Robin
They are super yummy but very additive so be very careful 🙂
Look yummi but it seems like a food for me not just a snack lol
I guess you are right but I had mine as a snack between lunch and dinner 🙂
wish i live in oz to taste this 🙂 I simply love this food 🙂
It is so easy to make so you can try anywhere 🙂
That looks amazing! All the Nepali snacks always seems so inviting, even though I know I could never handle the heat. Maybe there’s a way of making them equally tasty, but not as spicy!?
If you take out fresh chilli, you should be OK with this one, give it a go 🙂
I love chana chatpat…thanks for sharing the recipe 🙂
I am sure you got to eat it a lot :). I think the one from the street vendors tastes much nicer than mine but I have no choice 🙂
I love that chana!
Oh this looks really good. I need to try!
Hope you will like it. This is one of the easiest snack 🙂
Yumm!! mouth watering.. I want this for lunch now 😦
This is so easy and quick so try it tonight :),just delicious and spicy .