I normally make biryani often but when I saw Jamie Oliver’s incredible lamb biryani using left over lamb, it inspired me to do a biryani with spinach. I guess it is very healthy as it has spinach and it tasted yummy too.
Serves : 6
- 400g cooked basmati rice
- 300 gm chicken breast fillet, sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 x thumb-sized pieces of fresh ginger, peeled and crushed
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoon biryani masala (use curry powder if not available)
- 200ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon red chilli powder
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 450g frozen spinach
- Cook the rice and rinse under cold water and drain.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan and gently cook the garlic, ginger, onions and chilli until soft and divide between two large pans.
- In one, add frozen spinach. Two tablespoons of salt, 1 table spoon of chilli powder and splash of water and cook for 10 minutes stirring regularly until it is dark. Add extra water if it starts to dry.
- In another pan, add the biryani masala, remaining chili powder and stir through for 1 min.
- Add chicken and cook until the meat is cooked. Increase the heat and gradually add the chicken stock. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 mins, until the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Greased a deep baking dish, add half of the cooked rice and make a layer of it, followed by all the spinach and the chicken stew. Add the rest of the rice as the final layer on top. Cover the dish with foil.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and cook the biryani for 30 mins until piping hot.
- Plate up the biryani and serve with raita.
Take care ,
M from nepaliaustralian