Since I started solid food for Chhori, I have given her Jaulo, Nepali rice veggie puree which is high in nutrition and quite filling too. It is so easy to make and versatile that I thought it would be helpful for any mum so I’m sharing the recipe here.
- 4 table spoon of rice
- 2 table spoon of red lentils
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)(optional)
- 100 gm of broccoli (replace with any veggie your child likes)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Heat the pressure cooker on medium heat and add ghee. Let it get hot and add turmeric powder.
- Wash rice and red lentils.
- Add the rice, lentils, broccoli and salt to the pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water, close the lid and let it cook.
- Let it press for 5-6 whistles.
- Once done, check if the rice is soft.
- Put the mixture in a blender and make it a fine puree for baby under 7 months and coarse for baby between 7- 10 months. Older kids can be given the jaulo mashed using a spoon.
- This can be made with any other veggies or lentils so it will be very versatile options for the baby and easy for the mum.
- Store in container and can be used up to 3 days when store in the fridge.
M from nepaliaustralian