Kheer (Rice Pudding) is one of the favourite dishes in Nepal and is an integral part of parties and ceremonies. Kheer is regarded as a “pure” food in Nepal, as it is rice cooked in milk and so it is used in all pujas as well as weddings and other religious celebrations.
There are many ways to prepare Kheer and I am sharing a quick and easy recipe using sweetened condensed milk to get the desired thickness and sweetness for Kheer. I made a big portion recently, which served 20+ people so please adjust the recipe according to your need.
- 3 cups Arborio rice
- 4 litres full fat milk
- 2 tins (375 gm. each) sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons Ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tablespoons chopped dry fruits
- 2 tablespoons chopped Almonds
- 10-15 cardamom pods sliced
- In a big container, pour all the milk and sweetened condensed milk and bring it to boil.
- In the meantime mix rice with ghee using your hand (do not wash rice).
- Pour rice into the hot boiling milk and stir it continually.
- Cook the mixture for 15-20 minutes on low heat until rice gets cooked.
- Kheer is ready when it becomes thick.
- Turn off the heat and add chopped dried fruits, almonds and cardamom pods and mix well.
- Kheer is now ready to be served hot Or cool it down and put in the fridge as it tastes amazing when cold too and makes a great dessert.
You may also like:
|*Seviya kheer (vermicelli kheer)||*Aloo ko achar (nepali style potato salad)||*Gundruk Aloo Bhatmas Curry|
adding Kesar makes kheer more delicious …may be you are trying to focus on the Nepali way of making kheer…excellent one…Mmm..my mouth is watering…
I have never try kesar before but sounds like a great idea 🙂
I use same recipe as yours minus the condensed milk, looks yummy …
Using condensed milk, it gets really creamy and thick and no need to put sugar 🙂
Oh Yum!! Can I have some? Lol I live just too far away, darn it! Lol
Hugs Paula xxx
Try to make it, it is too simple 🙂
I never knew we can make kheer from arborio rice too.. I usually use basmati rice..
Thanks for sharing condensed milk tip M.. No more sweating in kitchen and waiting for milk to turn thick for hours 🙂
Arborio rice makes better Kheer in my opinion 🙂