I have written a recipe about dal before but this one is slightly different as this is thicker and I have used different spices.
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger crushed
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 dry red chilies
- 1 teaspoon methi, crushed
- 1 large tomato finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 bay leaf
- In a pressure cooker, pour all lentils and add 1 teaspoon salt, a pinch of turmeric powder and add 2 cups water.
- Cook for 15 minutes on a low to medium flame.
- When cooked, the lentils should be soft. Lightly mash and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon ghee and add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamoms and bay leaf to the pan and sauté them till they crackle and become fragrant.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger garlic and fry for a few minutes.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry till the onions turn light golden brown.
- Add chilli and methi and stir for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes; stir and sauté till the tomatoes soften.
- Now add chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and mix with the rest of the onion-tomato masala.
- Add the cooked dal and mix well.
- Add water and stir very well and season with salt as required.
- Simmer the dal on a low flame till the dal thickens a bit. Keep on stirring the dal at intervals so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the dal is done, switch off the flame, add chopped coriander leaves .
Take care and have a great weekend.
M from nepaliaustralian