For another year, winter is over in Games of Thrones (how great was this season especially episodes 9 and 10) but Australia is in the middle of winter and I am not the happiest person these days.
It is so cold every day and the rain and the wind make it worse. The sun rises late and sets early giving us less time in a day.
I am sure you all know my distaste for winter from the various posts in the past but I don’t like it even more now as I have a child. With the start of winter, Chhori caught a cold and she had fever for few days. We had to take her to the doctor when her fever didn’t go away for a few days.
After Panadol and lots of caring, her fever went away but she was left with a running nose for almost 3 weeks. Then I caught a cold as well so we were both sick at one stage. When I was feeling I was going to be OK, my flu came back making it impossible to sleep at night. In that 3 weeks, AS and I had to take time off from work to look after her. She was not eating well and it was really hard to see her suffer.
Not everywhere in Australia is it cold like this though. When we went to Gold Coast for holiday, I couldn’t believe that the weather was so good in May. We went to the beach every day and the water was warm and Chhori and my in laws had a great time playing with water and sand. We were even in an outdoor pool and it was fine.
I know this winter won’t last long as the weather will change eventually but waking up to a cold morning every day, I can’t help but hate winter.
I am just praying that this winter will pass without Chhori getting sick again.
Do you have a love or hate relationship with winter. I know lots of people who love winter but I am definitely not one of them.
Take care and have a great weekend !
M from nepaliaustralian
It’s autumn in Australia right now. The weather has been pretty good for autumn giving us a few warm days in a week. Most afternoons are still nice to go out and about and I am managing to take Chhori to parks often after work.
She loves going to the park now as she can run around or play on the swing or slides. I love seeing her so happy.
As she is home with my parents most of the days, it is nice to see her running around after we get home. It also gives AS and me some time to just relax and watch our daughter without household chores taking up our time. It is a perfect time for me to spend with the most important people in my life. If we don’t go to the park, we just go for a walk but we do go out.
But everything is going to change soon. Last weekend we had day light savings switch our clocks an hour back. That means the days are getting shorter and by the time we get home, it is almost dark and we don’t get an opportunity to go out. On top of that winter will be here before would I like it to be and I am so unhappy about it.
As you know already, I hate winter and I am going to hate it even more because we will be stuck in our apartment more during the cold season. It was okay for adults to just cover-up and stay in front of the TV but I don’t want that for Chhori.
I am not sure how I can help Chhori to be active in the evenings during weekdays if we can’t go to the park. We still have weekends which we will utilise to the fullest but she will miss out going out in the evenings.
Please suggest any good activates indoors with a 1 year old. I would like her to enjoy and spend time with us. I am sure I am not the only one with similar issues. Thank you all in advance for helping me every time when I am kind of lost about what to do.
Take care everyone,
M from nepaliaustralian
P.S: Do not forget to nominate your favourite blog. NEPALIAUSTRALIAN’s Blog Award 2015
Posted in Being Mum
Tagged Australia, australian, chhori, I hate winter, i offically hate winter, M from nepaliaustralian, mum, Nepal, Nepali, Nepaliaustralian, park, weather, winter
Today is just the 5th day of winter in Australia but can say that I officially hate winter now. I know most of my readers are from the other side of the world so enjoy your summer guys . But I have to vent out my frustration here.
I know that I probably couldn’t enjoy summer if we didn’t have winter but I have some good reasons why I hate winter. Winter is empty, bleak, cold, evil, mean, cruel and most of all annoying. I am open to most things and I like to see the bright side of life. But winter is not definitely on my list.
Here are my reasons why I hate winter:
- I have flu right now and I know it is going to last all winter long. I hate the cough that comes with it. My nose is running too. (I have flu shot every year but still seem to get the flu.)
- Waking up in winter is a 100 times harder than waking up in summer.
- I stay in my warm bed till late and have to rush to work.
- It is so cold in the morning and so dark when I leave home for work and then it is dark again when I come back home. I hardly get to see any sun light.
- Driving with fogged up windows is just awful.
- I hate to exercise in this cold weather and have been skipping workout for the last few days 😦
- My body automatically packs on insulation (fat) in an attempt to survive the winter.
- It is so cold when outside that the many layers I put on don’t seem to do anything.
- My nice dresses are being neglected because I need to wear warm jackets and sweaters.
- Winter automatically cuts my shoes wardrobe in 1/2. I can’t wear shoes that expose any skin, so my boots and some close shoes are the only ones I can wear.
- My washing takes longer to dry as I hate to use a dryer.
- My whole body is so dry that I need to moisturise all the time. No matter how much I try to moisturise, I am feeling flaky by midday. Sometimes, I think I just need to bathe in a tub of Vaseline.
- I hate rain in winter, not cool at all.
- All of you know that I love colour but in winter, I can’t see any colour except grey and black coats and jackets. Thank god I bought a red and a fuchsia long coat from Nepal while I was there the last time.
- Nature seems so lifeless during the long winter months, bare trees and brown grasses.
I normally try to go for a holiday during winter but this year it seems like I am stuck in Australia for the whole winter. So winter, winter please go away.
Are you a summer or a winter person? Please share you reasons.